Peavine Pieces #2

Tue Jul 14 21:24:51 EDT 2009

Paul, I do not believe that the Interstate Commerce Commission books are in the database yet.? There is so much material, they are waiting their turn but I know they are there.? I had my nose in several of them Sunday looking at structures and tracks of the Pocahontas Division.

The books are grey, dirty looking things which are bound?held together with two screws.? All of the entries are hand written forms, probably completed in the field.? These are not?the edited edition with gold lettering.? They are located on the left, top shelf on the next to the left most isle in the middle room of the archives.? I would believe that most of the regular volunteers would know where they are located.

Each structure is given a hand written?entry with the physical demensions.? If I remember correctly the exact distance along the division's?track?is also given.??

I do not know if you already have this information, but on page 21 of the Norfolk and Western Railway Standards Drawings, compiled by Jim Brewer and Tom Dressler and published by the Norfolk and Western Historical Sociey, Inc in 1992, there is a 1926 revised drawing of a "Standard Shelter Shed".

It is a nice looking little structure.

Good luck with your project.

Chuck Stewart
Bahama, NC