Montvale

Sun Aug 9 13:35:34 EDT 2009

Harry,

 I assume that you are talking about the switch at Montvale, I have not been there in a few years, and didn't know about it's replacement, however, I would assume that it is purely a maintenance decision as a high speed equilateral turnout requires a lot of weekly maintenance, and observation, as well as yearly tie replacements due to excessive wear. We are normally on a 5 year cycle in a particular location, and a #20 switch only gets worked every 5 years as well, so it fits the schedule better. I'll ask around a see if I can get any other clarification for you.

 Roanoke Material yard has been turning out a lot of #20 switches lately, They might be planning on re-placing even more high-speed switches.

Gary Price
Keeping the ole' N&W safe...one tie at a time.