Can Anyone Identify N&W Item

Tue Aug 11 20:49:14 EDT 2009

Sandy

Those are called "Dope" buckets. They were used by car men carrying
oily waste to repack journal boxes on equipment. I've seen some
without lids, which I think is just a case of something missing. You'd
keep them covered until you were ready to use them to keep grit and
dirt out of the bearings, which can score the bearing surface leading
to an overheated journal or "hotbox"

Best
Ken Miller