More on the Buchanan VA Stations

Sat Aug 15 23:46:32 EDT 2009

I can add a little bit to the story of the N&W Buchanan station. Ren Heard,
a local contractor who did renovation/reconstruction jobs of old and
historic buildings in Roanoke, bought it from the railroad and disassembled
it in the manner that Richard relates below. I believe that Ren told me
that he had deposited the "kit" in a field outside of town somewhere with
the understanding that Explore would buy it from him and he would
reconstruct it for them at the park. I knew Ren because he renovated the
building in the first block of South Jefferson Street that I moved Roanoke
Rails into in 1986. Ren worked for Explore for a while when they were
planning to develop a zoo of North American animals. Ren's mother bought
some bison to donate or sell to Explore; Ren and his kids, dressed in
colonial backwoods garb, marched with one or two of the bison in a parade in
Roanoke about that time.

If the station stayed on the trailers, then I would guess Ren might have
stored them in his "construction yard" just west of 10th street in the first
couple of blocks south of the N&W yard. The city has since rehabbed that
area and I have no idea where the trailers might have gone. Ren ran into
some serious legal problems in the mid-1990's and I haven't heard anything
about him since.

And as any of you who live in the Roanoke area know, Explore has never
fulfilled any of the proposals that have been floated for it over the years
and is now closed and in limbo.

Sam Putney

Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:55 AM
Subject: More on the Buchanan VA Stations