Lettering color on early steam

Thu Sep 10 07:55:54 EDT 2009

Rick,

Can you post an example photo?
Thanks,

Dave.

Subject: Re: Lettering color on early steam
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 17:06:48 -0400

Gold leaf is 22k gold hammered micro thin. It comes in little booklets and the gold leaves are separated by tissue paper. The leaves have to be lifted into place on a tacky surface and burnished smooth with a fine brush. For more details see: http://users.lmi.net/drewid/Gold_leaf.html. BTW, the N&W business car fleet, at least up to the NS merger, was lettered in gold leaf outlined with black pinstriping. I have closeup photos of the lettering and you can see how each leaf is slightly overlapped within just one letter. It is painstaking work and traditionally sign painters were skilled in working with it. Imitation gold leaf is available, but it doesn't have the impact and durability of the real thing.

--Rick Morrison