Lettering color on early steam

Sat Sep 12 07:48:59 EDT 2009

Please reference the Arrow, Jan-Mar 2007 (volume 23, number 1) Pg 17. Charlie Schlotthober's article should end this debate. He used company inter-office letters. The collection of letters is at the Archives should anyone want or need more information. Here are quotes from the article, as excerpted from a letter from then General Supt. R. G. Henley in reply to Mr. R. H. Smith who was VP- General Manager and later became President of the company.

"Prior to 1903 we used gold leaf for stenciling and stripping our locomotive cabs and tenders." He then added "I'm told by some of the older employees, although we have nothing in the record, that during that year (1903) it was decided on account of the expense of the gold leaf, to use gold enamel on the freight locomotives and silver leaf on the passenger locomotives. That practice has been followed since that time, except aluminum paint has been substituted for the silver leaf."

Check the link below and you will see that the price of 22.5 caret gold leaf in a 3.25 inch by 3.25 inch square or 10.5 sq. in.) is about $1.30. Not cheap but not all that bad either. In any case, gold and silver leaf was used and used rather extensively on the N&W. I would imagine this was widely practiced but that would be speculation.

http://www.lagoldleaf.com/product_info.php?products_id=44

Larry Evans
Kenova,WV
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: Lettering color on early steam

Gary

" This was not used on locomotives"

What do you base this statement on? I do not have any first hand knowledge about Locomotive lettering with gold leaf.
But I do know for fact the N&W and C&O used real gold leaf in passenger applications. And would think it would
be in the realm of possibility that in the day they may have use it on passenger locomotives as the drawing suggest.

Larry

Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 5:50 PM

Strictly speaking gold leaf is gold beaten extensively between two sheets of leather so that it forms an extremely thin sheet, about 0.001" thick and thinner. Gold is a very soft, plastic metal in pure form. This thin sheet would be cut up adhesively applied to jewelry and furniture. This technology goes back centuries. This was not used on locomotives. Too expensive.

Gold leaf paint is paint that has actual 'ground-up' powder of actual gold metal in it as the pigment. Thus, it is costly.

"Gold" paint today has some other ground up mineral as the powder that mimics the color and reflectivity of gold (Au) but doesn't cost that much. Iron Pyrite (all that glitters is not gold) used to be part of the pigment but that too became too costly.

DULUX gold paint is a yellow pigmented paint that is not based on a metallic pigment. But, it looks gold-like. Cheaper.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati