Engine "Slippery-ness"

Tue Sep 15 19:04:16 EDT 2009

I may get zapped on this by those with first-hand experience, but IMO factor of adhesion is not the ruling factor in predicting a locomotive's propensity to slip.

N&W operated locomotives with FA's far less than the so-called magic number of 4.0 (which is an average number, not an absolute figure). As a company, it didn't seem to have any problems keeping the A, J and Y5-Y6 classes on their feet, so-to speak. It's always sounded to me as if locomotive control is a general mixture of handling (engineer skill), track condition (geometry and maintenance), rail condition (clean, wet, icy, etc), locomotive condition (maintenance, preparation) and likely many other factors. Let any one of these go to pot, and you may end up with a hard-handle-locomotive. N&W seemed to have these variables under daily control and was therefore able to use locomotives that would be slippery based solely on numerical indicators. Based on research, it seems as if engineer skill is a big factor overall. There are stories relating how the same locomotive was flogged over a division with considerable complaining by one engineer. On the
next division (same train assignment), the same locomotive exhibited no deficiencies because of more skilled operation.

I'm as interested as Mark in hearing what those with real-world experience can add to this. I'm just an observer and number cruncher.

Dave Stephenson