Steam in Manhattan

Tue Sep 29 15:52:29 EDT 2009

Regarding steam in Manhattan, I don't think it was totally banned on
the island, just in the tunnels as a result a wreck, which I presume
is the one referenced. Several people were killed as result of the
smoke, steam and mess and inaccesibility resultant thereof.

When Reading 2101 was used in AFT service in the 1970's, I have been
told it was towed thru the Hudson tunnel, minus its fire.

Bob Cohen