Air Brakes

Thu Oct 15 21:24:49 EDT 2009

I received a great technical book for my recent birthday called Cyclopedia
of Engineering Vol III originally published in 1902 that covers Locomotive
Boilers and Engines; Air Brakes; and Self-Contained Railway Cars.

In the exhaustive description (profusely illustrated) of the early air
brake systems one statement really jumped out when considering the new unit
train system installed on the NS coal drag moving on the Bristol line.

I attach scans from the book with the specific reference boxed in red.

Mike Pierry, Jr.