J #604/611 Data

Mon Oct 19 00:06:01 EDT 2009

Urban legend! There are differences between the tenders of the 610 and 611.
611 is the original 611. Jim Nichols

Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 4:50 PM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: Re: J #604/611 Data

I had the pleasure a few years ago of attending an environmental course with
a member of the Norfolk Southern environmental department. I struck up a
conversation with him and during the course of that conversation he said
that the 611 was really the 610. Some time prior to or at the time of the
decision to preserve a J-class, a high ranking Norfolk & Western executive
ordered the number change. If my acquaintance gave a name of the executive
I cannot recall it. Does anyone have more details about this or is this
just an "urban legend" associated with 611?

Rick Huddle

N&WHS #3689