J #604/611 Data

Mon Oct 19 00:17:57 EDT 2009

There are so many things they'd have to do to pull that off, it just wouldn't be worth it. You'd have to start by changing out the tender, then start filing off numbers on parts, etc. Remember, there were several significant changes between the 611-613 subclass and the previous class. And some were pretty visible.

Reminds me of the story I was told by a retired railroader (or so he claimed to be) when I was riding the last Pocahontas between Welch and Crewe. He assured me that most of N&W's modern steamers (A's, J's and Y6's) hadn't really been scrapped. On the orders of the defense department they had been stored serviceable in a hollowed out mountain somewhere in West Virginia. So, I guess like that moon landing was faked on a Hollywood backlot, all those photos of locos in various states of disassembly were faked with cardboard cutouts.

Sam Putney

Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 5:50 PM
Subject: Re: J #604/611 Data

I had the pleasure a few years ago of attending an environmental course with a member of the Norfolk Southern environmental department. I struck up a conversation with him and during the course of that conversation he said that the 611 was really the 610. Some time prior to or at the time of the decision to preserve a J-class, a high ranking Norfolk & Western executive ordered the number change. If my acquaintance gave a name of the executive I cannot recall it. Does anyone have more details about this or is this just an "urban legend" associated with 611?
Rick Huddle
N&WHS #3689
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:19 PM

I've always heard that the 611 was preserved because it was the last J remaining and O. Winston Link made a personal appeal to Stuart Saunders to save it. I'm sure the Link Museum can provide more definitive information.

Sam Putney

Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:16 PM

I will provide my private email address so those who wish to reply to this message can reply to me privately, especially those who would like to submit information for my 611 book.
Lois J. Ponton
Friends of the 611
ljp611 at ntelos.net

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 01:56:52 +0000

First, I have a interesting question:
Why was 604 the first J to go to scrap?
Second, in my completion of the book Midnight on the Pocahontas (about 611's 1956 wreck) I have to cover why the 611 was preserved. I would like this to be a private conversation, but I would like to speak with former N&W employees and the like who have information on why the 611 is still with us today. The subject can also be discussed on the board at the moderator's wish.
Lois J. Ponton
Friends of the 611