Passenger schedules

Sun Oct 25 16:06:27 EDT 2009

I was looking through the J" book and at the route grade profiles and
I was wondering how the schedules changed from the 1920's and 1930's
with K1's and K2 pulling the consists to the J's and J1's during WWII
and then after WWII. Since the J's were more powerful were they able
to reduce the times between stops to any significant amount, or did
they just load up the consist to the max for the engines used? What
were the average speeds? I figure the J's were more powerful when the
boiler pressure was increased from 275 to 300PSI, but did that imply
faster, or heavier consists? Did the K2's get different cylinders
when they were upgraded? Were the N&W passenger engines limited by
speed limits or technical specifications? I hear stories of J's
getting past 100MPH, but nothing about the K1's or K2's. Is their
any source for finding out their operational specifications, like
speed, max loads etc?

Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930's