Paint Bank and the Potts Valley line

Fri Nov 20 10:23:33 EST 2009

Somewhere I have seen information that the roadbed grading was extended a
mile or more east out of Paint Bank down Potts Creek. I had always
visualized it as being a somewhat straight line extention east out of Paint
Bank, and the DOQ terrain map to which Roger gave a link (no pun intended)
appears to show residual evidence of such an straight extention if you click
and drag the map, although it could be just the tail track for the wye.
But, the DOQ terrain map also appears to show an extention of the south leg
of the wye curving to the East. Indeed, if you click on "Topo" on the DOQ
map you will see "Old RR Grade" does follow the same path. By clicking and
dragging on the topo map, you can follow the "Old RR Grade" to its apparent
end.

Incidentally, N&W Annual Reports give the installation of 50,000 gal. water
tanks at Waiteville and Paint Bank and a coaling station at Waiteville.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 8:20 AM
Subject: Re: Paint Bank and the Potts Valley line