piggyback question

Wed Nov 25 10:33:47 EST 2009

Just to ad a few things to Gordon's answer. Railway Age Oct and Dec 1955 reports. This
was the first interline movement of common carrier trailers by railroads. And was a joint N&W-PRR
operation. coordinated by Rail-Trailer Company , Chicago. Initially the N&W was to move these
cars in regular freights. With plans for solid trains if they had the volume.

Larry Evans
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:09 PM
Subject: Re: piggyback question

N&W Magazine article titles in the NWHS online Archives database confirm what I remember, viz., that the N&W used the same name as the PRR, i.e., TrucTrain. The article titles were: Vol. 33 No. 11, Oct. 1955, "N&W to Inaugurate Service November 14, TrucTrain" and Vol. 33 No. 12, Dec. 1955, "N&W Launches TrucTrain Service."

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:51 PM
Subject: piggyback question

I passed the information about piggyback service in the steam era to another railfan who told me the only other photos from the period he had seen were NKP Berkshires pulling TOFC consists. He asked me if N&W had a name for their trailer on flatcar service. Can anyone answer this question?

Southern originally called theirs COMAR - for COntainerized Motor and Rail. Seaboard was Razorback. Some others were TrucTrain for Pennsy, FlexiVan for NYC. I think B&O was TOFCEE.

--Rick Morrison