N&W in 1910--Leviathans, Part 3

Sun Nov 29 23:23:01 EST 2009

The two fireman report was on the early Virginian Mallets. As big as the N&W
engines were, one would expect the same problem (as Gordon apparently does)
but I have never seen it reported. Jim Nichols

------

[Both the Class X1 and Y1 were hand fired. Even accepting that one of these
Mallets would burn only two-thirds the coal of two Class M engines, that
means that the fireman on a Mallet would have to shovel one-third more coal
than he would on one of the two Class M engines. Somewhere I have seen that
some railroads had to assign two fireman to the early hand-fired Mallets.
Was this done on the N&W?]

Gordon Hamilton