abandoned tunnels

Sun Dec 6 11:14:28 EST 2009

I was at one of these tunnels during July thanks to an N&W maintainer (I knew from High School in Narrows) telling me about it. This old tunnel was reopened to allow the railway a means of following the right of way with MofW and signal dept trucks and equipment due to the centering of the single track mainline in the (active) once double track Eggleston Tunnel to support Heartland Corridor clearance requirements. Centering the track in the tunnel did not leave room for non rail equipment to pass through so opening the old tunnel was performed. I didn't walk completely through it due to not having a flashlight. I would assume both may have been opened and cleared for this reason? I didn't see the second tunnel.

Ed Painter - Narrows, VA currently living in Russellville, AR