Station design and construction

Tue Dec 15 13:32:05 EST 2009

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:17:35 -0500
Subject: Re: Bedford Station

The slate roof on Salem was still present until about 15-20 years
ago, when the City (who owns the building) had it replaced with a
shingle roof, for what reason, I do not know.

The second item in the list should probably be Graham instead of
Graton. The Buena Vista station also appeared to be the same general
design, and was completed just slightly after Salem if I recall
corrrectly. Salem opened for business in February 1891.

Ken Miller

December 15, 2009

The decision to replace a slate roof with ashphalt shingles or raised-seam metal is cost. A slate roof is the most durable but also the most expensive to maintain because frequent maintenance is required to replace cracked shingles. This is a labor intensive process.

It will be interesting to learn whether the variation in station design on the N&W was driven by periodic changes in the architectural firm hired to create construction plans. Would anyone know if Geo. T. Pearson, Architect, was still an N&W contractor during the 1910s? Also, I wonder if John P. Pettyjohn & Co. was the builder of Salem, Bedford, and other 1890s N&W structures.

Happy holidays!

Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com