US Army Railroad 1940...Movie

Tue Dec 22 18:42:54 EST 2009

Thanks, Andy.

The intro indicates that the Signal Corps film was shot at Camp
Claiborne, LA, which is where the advanced detachment of the 755th
Railway Shop Battalion (RSB), sponsored by the N&W, was activated in
late 1942. (Arrow articles on the Military Railway Service [MRS] and
the 755th appeared in 2003 and 2005.)

About 20 seconds into the film in the background there appears to be a
Transportation Corps' S-160 steamer, 2-8-0 (Alco/Baldwin/Lima), some
2,000 units of which were deployed to WWII MRS operations overseas. The
MRS overseas received some 5,600 US-built locomotives during the course
of the war, the largest class being the S-160s. A few S-160s served
training and switching duties on US military installations in the US,
but most went overseas; by war's end all were left in place with
national rail administrations.

I travel frequently to Italy, where some 250 S-160s were deployed during
the war. I have seen several S-160s in rail museums in Naples and
Turin. The Turin loco I saw in fact in November; it is unprotected from
the weather, and restoration would be a major undertaking. The Naples
steamer was restored in Verona, where I saw the boiler under rehab some
decades ago. It is in the national rail museum at Portici, just outside
Naples, and looks great. The S-160s when conveyed over to Italian hands
became the national railway's Class 736 engines. Happily, rail
"appassionati" all over the nation work weekends on restoration of
remnant aging Italian locos.

N&W's 755th RSB served in England, France and Belgium, where S-160s were
very much under its care.

Camp Claiborne was an MRS training center. The 725th Railway Operating
Battalion, subject of the film, was sponsored by the Rock Island;
following training it was deployed to India and Burma.

Frank Gibson