Sad News from Bluefield

Wed Jan 13 22:36:45 EST 2010

Chris,

I am floored to learn of Dr. McGehee's death. On several occasions I spent some hours in the Eastern Regional Coal Archives reviewing information that he supplied to me for my research into the streetcars that operated in Bluefield and Princeton. On other occasions when he might pass by while I was using the microfilm readers in the library downstairs from the archives he never failed to call me by name and ask how my research was doing.

I had repeatedly invited him to tour the N&WHS archives, but he was always too involved in other activities and never saw what historical treasurers we have there.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:52 PM
Subject: Sad News from Bluefield

It was reported in the Bluefield Daily Telegraph today that Dr. Stuart McGehee, archivist at the Eastern Regional Coal Archives, has passed away. As some of you probably remember, Dr. McGehee spoke at our Bluefield Conventions in 1996 and 2007. I had the pleasure of studying under Dr. McGehee for History 101 (Western Civ') at Bluefield College in the late 80's. He transformed a potentially boring 800am class into something that was actually fun instead of being a "yawner". His wit, enthusiasm and passion will be sorely missed. Any of you guys wanting more details can see the article in the Online version of the Bluefield Daily Telegraph (www.bdtonline.com/). I would expect funeral arrangements to be forthcoming there as well.

Chris Dalton
Bluefield, WV