Another one bites the light

Tue Jan 26 08:42:09 EST 2010

I think you are using the incorrect term, "daylighting" infers
removal of the earth and fill, as well as the top of either the
brick, or conctete to convert the tunnel to a cut. This was done to
the former Shawsville tunnel back about 1990-91. The changes here at
Cooper are essentially cutting out the roof a total of 9 inches by my
reading.

Generally, there is not much to document (at least photographically)
on this type of operation, as very little that one can see outside
the tunnel is changed.

According to the article, five of the 28 tunnels involved lowering
the track level, the rest were like Cooper, by raising the roof.

Ken Miller