N&W Mail Cars

Sat Feb 13 08:55:19 EST 2010

After doing less digging that I thought I'd have too (as compared to shoveling snow!) my information indicates that N&W #160 was a former Wabash Car

Tthe information I have suggests it was changed to N&W in March 1967 but retired in October 1968; in 1972 it was converted to a power car at Roanoke Shops and renumbered 409.

I don't have a photograph of the car as N&W 409 but do have an equipment diagram.  That diagram identifies the car as former Wabash #454 built by St. Louis Car Company in 1934.  The equipment drawing shows that the two windows closest to the center of the car have been eliminated.  The diagram further indicates the car was upgraded in 1976-77 and used with Equipment Maintenance Instruction Car #401.

Hope this helps.

Jim Brewer

Glenwood MD