Virginian in 1910--KGJ&E

Tue Feb 16 16:35:30 EST 2010

I think the KGJ&E remained independent until soon after the death of the
last of its McKell family owners in 1939.

Bob McKell

Chillicothe, Ohio

Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:47 PM
To: 4VGN Ry Yahoo Group; 3N&W Mailing List
Subject: Virginian in 1910--KGJ&E

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
September 11, 1910

MILLION-TON FEEDER

------

Virginian Soon to Control Short Line in Loup Creek Coal District

Norfolk, September 10--It was announced at the headquarters of the
Virginian Railway in this city that the Kanawha, Glen Jean and Eastern
Railroad in West Virginia soon would be completed and connected with the
Virginian at Pax. It is a short line, owned by coal operators in the Loup
Creek district. About 1,000,000 tons of coal are mined on the line
annually, and much of it will find the way to tidewater over the Virginian.

------

[I think that the KGJ&E became part of the C&O in 1940. Did the Virginian
ever have control over the KGJ&E as predicted in the sub headline above, or
did the headline write assume too much? There is no mention of control in
the body of the article.]

Gordon Hamilton