Virginian in 1910--KGJ&E

Wed Feb 17 21:32:47 EST 2010

The Virginian did not have control over the entire line but it did have control up to the tunnel. The reason I know this is when it was owned by the WV Southern. When CSX found out that the tunnel was to be opened up again they quickly bought the entire line. Today RJ Corman runs that line all the way but does not connect at Pax. Don Mills
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:47 PM
Subject: Virginian in 1910--KGJ&E

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
September 11, 1910

MILLION-TON FEEDER
------
Virginian Soon to Control Short Line in Loup Creek Coal District

Norfolk, September 10--It was announced at the headquarters of the Virginian Railway in this city that the Kanawha, Glen Jean and Eastern Railroad in West Virginia soon would be completed and connected with the Virginian at Pax. It is a short line, owned by coal operators in the Loup Creek district. About 1,000,000 tons of coal are mined on the line annually, and much of it will find the way to tidewater over the Virginian.
------
[I think that the KGJ&E became part of the C&O in 1940. Did the Virginian ever have control over the KGJ&E as predicted in the sub headline above, or did the headline write assume too much? There is no mention of control in the body of the article.]

Gordon Hamilton