N&W 611 Headlight

Sat Feb 20 21:06:30 EST 2010

I agree. I understand the reason Norfolk Southern extended the coal boards
over the winter of 1991-1992 was to increase the coal capacity of the
tender, but since the 611 is no longer operating and is not likely to
operate again in the foreseeable future, then I would be pleased to see
those go as well. I've always thought they ruined the streamlined appearance
of the 611, to be fair the 1218 has extended coal boards as well, but I
believe it's tender was in that configuration when retired by the N&W.

Steven Ashley
Spartanburg, SC