A Roanoke connection to the old PRR

Sat Feb 27 20:51:21 EST 2010

While looking at a list of contributions to the Roanoke Rescue Mission I noticed one in memory of an local acquaintance, recently deceased Samuel Rae Low, Jr. PRR historians will recognize the Samuel Rae part of his name because Samuel Rae was the engineer in charge of the construction of the Hudson River tunnels and New York's Pennsylvania station, and he later became president of the PRR. Roanoke's Samuel Rea (known as Rea) told me that he was a descendent of the PRR's Samuel Rea.

Both Rea and his wife Betty were members of the Historical Society of Western Virginia, and Betty helped with my research in the HSWV library for Jim Dalmas' book on the Roanoke streetcars (available from the N&WHS Commissary). Those who are familiar with Raymond Barne's monumental history (but skimpy index) of Roanoke will recognize Betty Low as the compiler of the detailed index of Barne's book.

Gordon Hamilton