Iron Ore on the N&W 1910

Tue Mar 23 20:44:25 EDT 2010

Did these iron furnaces also require a local source of limestone for use in
their reduction from ore to iron process . . . as do blast furnaces for
steel? By the turn of the century I believe they were past the stone
furnace process phase in many places and were bring in "modern" equipment
down from Pennsylvania? I would guess each area had their natural alloy
content . . . . and that limited their customers? I'm guessing their local
ore sources dwindled also.

Where are the good sources of information about the Virginia iron and steel
furnace industries?

Al Kresse