Takin' 20 with the brethren ....

Tue Jun 22 08:46:39 EDT 2010

Harry,
This is the very BEST Claytor story I've ever heard. Do I have your permission to us it in my next "Takin' Twenty Report? By the way we would very much like for you to "Take Twenty" with us some time. Landon has successfully endured the "Orange Ave. 500" and says it's not as bad as it used to be on Wednesday night.
Skip
---- NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

Skip:

I have a couple of quasi-similar airline tales from when I used to
travel extensively Bob:The study team had been in Decatur, IL for five days and was lookingforeward to Friday even though getting home would require one flightDktr to O'Hare, and one O'Hare to Roanoke. Prior to the Sou merger, N&Wleased two jets for company use. Mr. Claytor had to be in Detroit onthat Friday and the Travel Bureau notified us that instead of comingback to Roanoke commercial, the Lear jet would operate Detroit to Dktr,pick the study team up and then proceed to Roanoke. There was thisrestaurant in Dktr that made a lemon chess pie that was a knock-out. Sowhile we're waiting to board the company jet, the van from the restaurantdrives up and unloads its goods. Now I'm not saying the jet flew fromDetroit to Dktr just to pick up lemon chess pies. Nor am I saying thatMr. Claytor was overcome by his importance. Had it not been for R.B. Claytor,I wouldn't have had an N&W job. On take-off, the tower operator radioedthat he'd seen smoke from the Lear jet, would the pilot please circle. Onsecond pass, the tower operator noted no visible defects. That's whenMr. Claytor took the controls. You see, he could operate steam locomotives--and jets, even though the FAA didn't know about it. Harry Bundy
--
Skip Salmon