Bluefield Doublestacks ... Lightweights

Sat Jun 26 10:14:25 EDT 2010

I spent Sunday night, 13June, in the Princeton Day's Inn where NS puts up their Bluefield train crews that are laying over. In talking with the crews the double stacks in the Bluefield yard were to be used for clearance tests between Bluefield and Williamson. Williamson to Portsmouth still had significant ongoing work to be completed before it was ready to perform test runs. I'd think the testing to be interesting but not so much a railfan event but as a NS rail physical plant/operations milestone aimed at increasing the value of our NS stock! That is a good thing.

Ed Painter; Narrows,Va living in Russellville, Ar shooting trains this morning at Ooltewah Jct, Tn while visiting my daughters and grandchildren in Chattanooga!!

--------------------------

________________________________
Sent: Sat Jun 26 00:08:24 2010
Subject: Bluefield Doublestacks ... Lightweights

When I railfanned Bluefield about two weeks ago, I too noticed the five doublestacks in the yard (kind of a Wizard of Oz sensability) and figured they were on standby for tunnel tests as soon as the tunnel enlargement project was complete.

In particular I could see that the wheel springs were high leading me to believe that the containers were empty to give the stack tops their maximum altitude as they traversed the refurbished tunnels. If they don't scrape the edges, then loaded stacks would not, either.

I don't know if this will be a factor or not, but, as I recall, the containers were on individual well cars and not part of an articulated five-platform single car. On the other hand, the Bluefield stacks photo shows the car to the left with a bigger porch on the left end? Are these five cars operated together even tho they are not articulated? Or perhaps, was I blinded by the Oz light and they really were an articulated set?

Also, I wonder if the test will include any built in stack sway. I recently read where the B&O/Chessie/CSX used to restrict traffic thru the Harpers Ferry tunnel to one double stack train at a time due to potential car sway. I have to guess that this tunnel project has tolerances cut quite close and sway of such tall cars could be a factor.

BTW ... Do we think the test run will be a major railfan event? Or are we thinking that this not a 1218-level event?
Bob Loehne
8007 Maxwelton Drive
Huntersville, NC 28078
800-611-1218