Thu Jul 1 20:50:34 EDT 2010

The mention of a Virginian passenger train backing into a Roanoke Railway &
Electric streetcar reminds me of the attached photo that I turned up while
researching info for Jim Dalmas' book on the Roanoke streetcars (available
from the N&WHS Commissary). The photo shows one of the 1926 Brill
streetcars after an encounter with a Virginian switcher that occurred in
1941 on the day before Pearl Harbor.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 8:01 AM
Subject: "Takin' Twenty" with the Virginian Brethren by Skip Salmon

> Last night, the mid-point in this year of our Lord 2010, I had the

> pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with 9 of the Brethren and Friends of the

> Virginian Railway. I passed on to them the news that Eddie Mooneyham

> called me earlier in the day about Norfolk Southern's news release,

> relating to their allowing "steam to ride the Norfolk Southern rails

> again". I showed the Brethren the NS news release including photos of

> the SOU #4501, SOU #630 and the Tennessee Valley Railroad #610. Most

> conceded to someone's remark that " a rising tide raises all ships"

> indicating that this could be the start of something even bigger...

> could possibly lead to other steam engines being used... like the N&W J

> #611?

> Landon Gregory came in well equipped for "Show and Tell". Recently at

> the K&W Restaurant, he was wearing his newly acquired "Friends of the

> Virginian Railway" cap that I had just sold him, when a man approached

> and asked if he worked for the VGN. Turns out that this fellow, Myron C.

> White, Jr. worked at the Union Station Office of the VGN in Norfolk, in

> the Freight Traffic Department in 1948. He was transferred to the N&W

> General Office in Roanoke after the merger. Landon, on Monday this week,

> when we both attended our monthly meeting of the Sons of Confederate

> Veterans, asked if I had any more of the hats to sell. He purchased one

> and took it to Mr. White at his home. This lead to Mr. White's donating

> four items to our VGN Station Project for future display at the Station.

> The items shown to the Brethren last night were: A framed copy of C. D.

> Poage's 1930 "The Depot" that Landon said reminded him of the N&W Depot

> at Blue Ridge, VA; A Norfolk Union Station (in the background) framed

> Casey Hitzinger painting with VGN, N&W and Norfolk Portsmouth Belt Line

> steam engines in the foreground; A framed Lima Builder's Photo of the

> VGN Blue Ridge Class #900 and a framed Virginian Railway 1955 bowling

> league orange, blue and white patch. More on this patch next week. Mr.

> White also made a contribution to the Station Restoration Fund.

> The Jewel from the Past, like one in Harry Bundy's Hamilton 992B is from

> October 28, 2004: "Tom 'Cornbread' Victory said that the Roanoke Railway

> and Electric (street cars) had their motor barn under the Walnut Street

> Bridge. Their light rail tracks crossed the N&W and the VGN. He

> remembered that once a VGN passenger train that was backing up, to line

> up with the station, actually struck one of the street cars. He said

> that 'no one was hurt but there was some hurt feelings'. The street cars

> were treated like autos crossing the tracks, in that they had to yield

> to the trains and 'look out for moving equipment'".

> Raymond East shared with us a news article from the Fredericksburg, VA

> "The Free Lance-Star": "Troop trains may connect A. P. Hill, Fort Lee;

> Army believes rail can be used to transport 800-1000 soldiers as

> [...]

14:35:00