Steam on NS

Thu Jul 8 12:31:28 EDT 2010

Does anyone know exactly what problems 1218 had when she was last used in
1991? I had been told (whether it is true I don't know) that NS had
considered constructing a new boiler (which goes along with what is quoted
below). However, I imagine that would be a massive task, I know that
new boilers have been constructed in the recent past for the Texas State
Railroad's 2-8-0 300 and Southern Railway 2-8-0 401 at the Monticello
Railway Museum in Illinois, but I couldn't imagine who would have the
capacity to build a new boiler for a locomotive the size of 1218. I know
that most of the firebox was replaced and new flues were ordered and in the
Birmingham shops but never installed. What other work was supposed to have
been done in the 1218's second overhaul that never happened?

Steven Ashley
Spartanburg, SC

the Challenger?), and it would take a miracle to put 1218 in steam again