Train Speeds

Mon Aug 2 10:22:50 EDT 2010

>From Norfolk to Cincinnati the Powhatan Arrow averaged a little over 44 miles an

hour, including stops. In Virginia, the top speeds were between Suffolk and
Petersburg, where the average for the Arrow was over 60 miles per hour (maybe
65, I don't remember for sure). Anyway, nowhere else did N&W have a scheduled
run abode 60 station to station. Top speeds, of course, were higher.     Jim
Nichols

Sent: Sun, August 1, 2010 6:37:35 PM
Subject: Train Speeds

I heard today on a radio news program that 90mph trains have preliminary
approval for some time in the future in Virginia!  In the heyday of N&W steam
operations, what were the average speeds of the Norfolk-Cincinnati trains and
those on the Shenandoah Division. Where and what were the top speeds?

###
Bernie Hylton