Virginian Caboose

Mon Aug 16 11:25:58 EDT 2010

With no one locally to champion the cause, maintenance tends to stop
or the person who did it is no longer able to continue. This problem
is not limited to equipment, but the rail hobby in general, face it
folks, none of us are getting any younger, and how many younger people
are showing interest, certainly not as many as there are older folks
involved. As I said, it is not just equipment, but archives, museums,
rail groups in general.

Ken Miller

Well said Ken;

Having been one who grew up when Steam was King, and to have known;
the smell and noise of a busy round house,
the clanking of the rotating turn table,
or the smell of kerosene in he cabs being readied for departure.

I feel so fortunate to not only have lived in that age, but even more so to have been able to experience the results of a dedicated and hard working " Champion" as you say.
We must come to grips with the fact that the day will not last forever, and must be turned over to fascinations of a new generation. Our stories will be written, but never read with the appreciation that they were intended to give.
Gene A.
Gloucester Va.