Quality of Passenger Service on the N&W

Thu Aug 26 20:35:47 EDT 2010

Because of living on the north end of the Shenandoah Division, my N&W passenger experience was several times on trains 1&2, and a few times on mixed 13&14. The coach on 1&2 was always clean and comfortable and from 1958 onward was #501-502, former Powhatan Arrow crew cars rebuilt for greater seating capacity. Crews were courteous and breakfast and dinner in the diner was something to look forward to. The trains always were on schedule, and the only times I saw 1&2 run late was because of heavy winter snow. Compared to riding B&O's east-west trains, N&W equipment seemed maintained to a better standard despite much lighter passenger loads. Riding the mixed train was a lot of fun for a young railfan, but it almost never ran on schedule. The combine was kept tidy and warm in the winter with the pot bellied stove in the end of the car. I was the only passenger the times I rode it.

--Rick Morrison

What was the quality of passenger service on N&W compared to Amtrak today? For example, did the trains run on time, were you treated well as a passenger?

Mike Weeks
Greenville NC