Link's Color photo--a witness account

Tue Sep 7 09:24:32 EDT 2010

Do you (or does anyone) know whether there was in fact a shanty between Boaz and Bonsack in the '50s, and likely earlier? And hard by the EB mainline, as in the Link shot?

You speak of "Little K" Tanner. Long shot, but is this the Bill Tanner to which David Plowden refers in my 3 September post?

Frank:
I live about 1/4 mile east of the crossover. When I purchased the property in 1977,
there was no detour shanty there, but it's not to say there wasn't one there in the
steam era. By my recollection, W. B. "Bill" Tanner was referred to in Link's books
as "Little K". Link, by the way, did take some, uh, I think it's called "literary license".
The photo on No. 17 crossing the New River west of Radford (actually at "JC")
indicates it's near Wurno (because there "were no" sidings there). It's 10.4 miles
from where the picture was made to Wurno. I won't concede - - -yet - - - that the
photo wasn't made at the Bonsack crossover, but since Link was impressed with
the Wurno, maybe Bonsack turned him on and he exaggerated the location. The
answer lies with Bill Tanner and I'll see what he has to say next month. H.Bundy