Strassburg 4-8-0

Fri Sep 17 13:49:00 EDT 2010

Bud is correct in noting that the boiler pressure will make a difference in
the whistle tone. We should also recognize that a boiler that is delivering
saturated steam (with water vapor-tiny liquid droplets) or superheated steam
(much hotter steam without any vapor in it what so ever) will deliver steam
at a different density (pounds per cubic foot) which will change the tone
also. So the class of locomotive and what it has for superheaters should
make a difference.

Gary Rolih
Cincinnati