"K" Bell?

Thu Sep 23 12:42:27 EDT 2010

I may have copies of these drawings but I would have to dig them out. At the archives, I observed probably these two drawings that gave the dates that the changes occured. The original freight whistle drawing was cancelled in about 1945, while the passenger whistle was redesignated as the "standard" whistle at the same time.

Bud Jeffries
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: "K" Bell?

The original N&W freight whistle had a 7" bell, 5.5" diameter as Lee stated. See drawing C29836

The original N&W passenger whistle, later the so-called "hooter" freight whistle, had a 12-1/8" bell, 5.5" diameter. See drawing C29837. This whistle would have probably been used on all three of the 4-8-2 classes through the very early 1940's. It's also likely that the K1's had this whistle throughout most of their service lives.

Low-res pictures of the drawings can be seen on the N&WHS website, under "search the archives".

Dave Stephenson