"Takin' Twenty" with the Virginian Brethen by Skip Salmon

Fri Sep 24 09:34:06 EDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thu, Sep 23, 2010 8:22 pm
Subject: RE: "Takin' Twenty" with the Virginian Brethen by Skip Salmon

Skip, I have enjoyed your "Takin Twenty" with the Virginian Brethen since the first post. I have a question for the Brethen. In the video "Virginian Vignettes" there are two separate instances of Navy troop train movements that are heading toward Norfolk pulled by Mikados, since the trains appear to be made up of heavyweight Pullmans. I have lived around the Norfolk, Virginia Beach area all my life, and it appears to me that these trains are beyond Norfolk's Union Station and on tracks toward the Sewells Point yards. Did these military movements unload at Sewells Point, which was adjacent to the Naval Air Station and ship piers?

There were two other possible destinations for the MAIN (Military Authorization
Identification Number) trains, as railroaders called them -- Little Creek
Amphibious Base and Oceana Naval Air Station. These two destinations
would require that the trains be handed off to Norfolk Southern. The
last MAINS I saw were Nos. 1161-1162-1163 -- reservists en route to Little
Creek Amphib Base in the summer of 1961 . So as not to show partiality,
the govt. routed one via N&W, one via SAL, and one via ACL with N&PBL
relaying the ACL + SAL trains from Pinners Point to NS Jct. Harry Bundy