N&W in 1911--Kenova bridge

Fri Oct 15 16:36:07 EDT 2010

Okay, so the rails on the bridge itself were not raised, but the east end of the
viaduct was about 5 feet higher than before. This corresponds to the difference
in elevation between the platform and the upper waiting area at the station.
(which I know from personal observation) Previously, the upper waiting area was
at the same level as the platform (according to my father). Thanks for the
clarification.    Jim Nichols

________________________________
Sent: Fri, October 15, 2010 1:14:35 PM
Subject: Re: N&W in 1911--Kenova bridge

Jim,

The Railway Age Gazette article that I referred to states, in relation to the
girders put on top of the piers to support the new trusses outside of the old
trusses, "The girders are necessarily very deep, and as there was to be
practically no change in grade on the bridge [emphasis mine], it was necessary
to cut off the tops of the old piers to provide clearance for the girders below
the bottoms of the trusses."

The station was on the approach viaduct near the east end of the bridge, and
there was a change in grade on this viaduct when the new bridge was built, but
not enough to put it on a different level of the station.  The same article
states, "It was desired to reduce the grade of this viaduct approach from 0.5 to
0.3 percent by raising the east end of the viaduct about 5 ft., and the
remainder of it by correspondingly lesser amounts, reaching the old grade line
about over the second pier of the bridge."  If the grade line on the new bridge
had been higher than the grade line on the old bridge that would have increased
the grade on the approach viaduct instead of reducing it.

The Railway Age Gazette article is quite interesting, and I recommend it to
anyone interested in how such things were done a century ago.

Gordon Hamilton