Train splits

Wed Oct 20 21:41:12 EDT 2010

Mike:

To further expand a bit on what Jeff said, a "break in two" was
uncommon enough to warrant filing of a report which was titled (if I
recall correctly) "Conductor's Report of Train Parting." I have a
number of copies that my father kept on last years on the Radford
Division, I'd guess it was a few times a month in the diesel era,
probably a bit more often in the steam era.

Rough train handling by the engineer could also allow slack to run in
and out, jarring the cars and rear end crew, possibly causing a break
in two if a knuckle was already damaged or weak, on occasion, an
entire drawhead could be pulled out a car. It depended on the speed of
the train at the time of the air hoses parting as to how far apart the
train might be separated, and how rough the emergency stop would be
felt.

"Emergency" in case you did not know, is what happens when the brakes
are applied in full either by an engineer, conductor on the caboose,
or, as said above, when the air hoses parted. Generally speaking an
emergency application was just that, an emergency, requiring the
quickest possible stop. But remember, even an emergency application of
say a loaded coal train traveling at 35 MPH may travel a good distance
before coming to a stop. I remember back when I was in high school,
one of my classmates was riding on the back of a motorcycle with her
boyfriend. They were stopped by a westbound train at Salem. As soon as
the westbound cleared, the boyfriend was impatient and ran around the
gates before they went up, across the N&W eastbouind track, and they
were hit and killed on the third track about 30 feet away by an
eastbound coal train on the former Virginian. It took about a half
mile to stop the train. Unfortunately, what is also tragic about this,
that not many seem to think of, is the trauma that poor engineer and
fireman suffered from seeing them run out in front of them, knowing
that even the emergency application was useless at that point.

Ken Miller