Train splits

Sun Oct 24 13:54:51 EDT 2010

"Bottling the air" which I think, is now prohibited by most rule
books, means to close the angle cock (air line) on both ends of the
car or cut of cars before separating them from the train. That way,
air stays in the system, and does not dump the air to emergency on
that car or cut of cars. It is, among other things, made to speed up
operations, as with air already in the train line of those cars, it
means that the locomotive air compressor, does not have to run as long
to pump air back into the system, which can be a considerable amount
of time, meaning the crew can get underway sooner.

If the air is dumped from the car or cars, it sets those brake systems
into emergency, and to release those brakes, the air system has to be
pumped up again from the locomotive. By bottling the air, it means
that only hand brakes, or chocks may be holding the cut of cars in
place, which can lead to a drift off, or runaway, or difficulty
coupling if the brakes are not holding well.

Ken Miller

On Oct 24, 2010, at 11:43 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> For those of us who never worked on 1:1 scale trains, what does

> "bottle the air" mean? Thanks.

> Rob Doorack

> > wrote:

>> WVC... They can, Nevermind..... At least they were smart enough to

>> teach you not to bottle it, unlike in other cases, resulting in the

>> Intimidateing of employees into making unsafe moves.

>> Nathan

>> Nathan Simmons

>> trainman51 at gmail.com

>> http://www.t-51.org

>> KI4MSK

>> On 10/23/2010 22:20, NW Mailing List wrote:

>>> When we trained on the West Virginia Central one of the items we

>>> studied and learned NOT to do was to bottle the air. The results

>>> could be unpredictable and dangerous.

>>> Thanks,

>>> writes:

>>> /"When I worked on the RF&P(1984-1987) it was standard procedure

>>> to make a service reduction and then close the angle cock on the

>>> train that we were cutting away from. We never had any accidental

>>> releases!/

>>> /Walt Gay"/

>>> //

>>> You got lucky!