pumping up the trains brake systems

Thu Oct 28 09:00:19 EDT 2010

Jimmy;
You sound like a man with lots of experience.
I have a nephew who hired on in the early 60's and was sent to, I believe Birmingham, for 6 mo. training, and then turned loose on te Poco. Div. I ask him this question some months later, " Son, what do you do when you start on the down side of a mountain when all of those loaded coal cars begin to push you?" His Responce, " I push in on the throttle, put 25 lbs on the brakes, pukker-up my a-- and let her rip...........
Gene A.
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:33 AM
Subject: Re: pumping up the trains brake systems

"I'm sure that pumping the trains air system is no longer a long-term challenge,"

Gene,
Like everything else in life, when things go right there is no problem. When things go wrong it can be a real headache trying to get enough air to the rear car.
GE units have a bad flaw in that many a time the air compressor will not pump. Some units will not maintain main reservoir pressure. Some units, no matter how many you have in the consist, will not let the air flow between main reservoirs fast enough.
Cold weather is a big problem and is exponentially compounded by the number of cars in the train. Get a loooong train in bone chilling temperatures and have to make a pick up or set out and when you couple back you are going to be there a while.
Cold temps also increase the chances of vent valves sticking open after the air goes down when you cut away from the train to set out or pick up.
As "Demo Dick" (the "Rogue Warrior") will tell you, Mr. Murphy can raise his ugly head and start playing games with you just when you don't want him around.
The big mystery is the sliding air joint. These things can cause all kinds of problems, to the point of being downright dangerous, out on the road when they go bad and start leaking.
Many a time these things will start leaking when the slack runs in, causing an undesired brake application back in the train. When the slack runs back out, the leak may stop and the brakes release. If this happens while having to use the air to control the train going down a mountain, things can quickly get out of hand to the point of being almost out of control. I've had this happen.
The one thing nice about EOT's, and let me add to that a good air flow meter, is that if you are paying attention you can actually see this in the process of happening and make adjustments before things get out of hand.
Oob-la -di, oob-la-da life goes on.

Jimmy Lisle