N&W's Norma Branch lots of old photos, and a map.

Thu Nov 25 12:43:51 EST 2010

Fellers, I have been chomping at the bit since this topic came up. I have done extensive research on the North Carolina branch most of my life! Unfortunately, I have a wife and family and a very demanding job (time wise) and have been unable to make a meaningful post upon this subject until now.

A few years back, I went to Wytheville Community Collage, and viewed the "Chitwood Collection". Mr Chitwood did a lot of research on the Iron industry of Wythe county and some surrounding areas, and passed his research, and notes on to the collage.

I have copies of the maps he sketched out, in relation to various "areas" of the NC Branch. The Norma Branch is one of them!

At the time that I made copies of the maps, and some of the photographs, I got permission to post them online, as long as I gave proper credit to the creator, and the collage.I also have done much "ground research" in that area, I believe that the Topo Map, shows some of the "dinky" line running back to one of the mining pits itself.

Here is a link to the "Chitwood map" of the Norma Branch courtesy of the Wytheville Comunity Collage. About 400 kb.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1140/normabranch.jpg

Also little known today, is the the narrow gauge locomotive "shed" is still their, and being used as a hay shed, a very narrow, and long hay shed. I have a photograph of it somewhere.I have found some USGS photographs of this operation, some of it STILL in operation, I post them here.

Now to the USGS photos.. This is an index page, showing much of what they have in Virginia. http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/search.cgi?free_form=cr;search_mode=noPunct;start=1191 All resolutions of the photos are avalible from that page. I will post links to the ones that show up best on common computer screen resolutions. Note their are many photos of N&W Interest" on that page, including Spec station, with tipple, and some photos of the Gossan Mines near Galax on the NC Branch.

Here is direct links to the photos of interest, with information..

Near Cripple Creek, Virginia. Fluxing limestone quarry of Pulaski Iron Company viewed in direction of strike of beds about south 65 degrees west. Wythe County, Virginia. June 1, 1927. http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/htmllib/btch550/btch550j/btch550z/btch550/bef01370.jpg

Near Cripple Creek, Virginia. . Abandoned Noble furnace on Francis Mill Creek opposite Pulaski Iron Company's limestone quarry. Charcoal was fuel formerly used at this furnace. Wythe County, Virginia. June 1, 1927. http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/htmllib/btch550/btch550j/btch550z/btch550/bef01371.jpg

Near Cripple Creek, Virginia. Pit of abandoned Norma brown iron ore mine of Pulaski Iron Company. View northward, showing eroded masses of limestone that were formerly surrounded with ore. Wythe County, Virginia. June 1, 1927 http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/htmllib/btch550/btch550j/btch550z/btch550/bef01366.jpg

Near Cripple Creek, Virginia. View southward of limestone pinnacles in Norma brown iron ore mine of Pulaski Iron Company. Wythe County, Virginia. June 1, 1927. http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/htmllib/btch550/btch550j/btch550z/btch550/bef01367.jpg
Near Cripple Creek, Virginia. View southward of limestone pinnacles in Norma brown iron ore mine of Pulaski Iron Company. Wythe County, Virginia. June 1, 1927. http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/htmllib/btch550/btch550j/btch550z/btch550/bef01368.jpg

Near Cripple Creek, Virginia. View north 25 degrees east in abandoned pit of Little Wythe brown iron ore mine of Virginia Iron, Coal and Coke Company. Shows cut along depression in limestone formation resulting from solution of the rock. Wythe County, Virginia. June 1, 1927. http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/htmllib/btch550/btch550j/btch550z/btch550/bef01369.jpg

Near Cripple Creek, Virginia. Ore washer at Porter brown iron ore mine of Pulaski Iron Company. Wythe County, Virginia. June 1, 1927. http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/htmllib/btch550/btch550j/btch550z/btch550/bef01372.jpg

Near Cripple Creek, Virginia. View southwest in pit of Porter brown iron ore mine in operation, of Pulaski Iron Company from 85 feet above working level. Wythe County, Virginia. June 1, 1927. http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/htmllib/btch550/btch550j/btch550z/btch550/bef01373.jpg

Near Cripple Creek, Virginia. . View northeast in Porter brown iron ore mine of Pulaski Iron Company from middle of cut on lower level. Wythe County, Virginia. June 1, 1927. http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/htmllib/btch550/btch550j/btch550z/btch550/bef01374.jpg

Near Cripple Creek, Virginia. . View northeast in Porter brown iron ore mine of Pulaski Iron Company from 55 feet above working level and about 800 feet from face where steam shovel is at work. Wythe County, Virginia. June 1, 1927. http://libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov/htmllib/btch550/btch550j/btch550z/btch550/bef01375.jpg

The branch is very easy to follow using the Chitwood map, public roads run on it practical all of it today, all the way to the Nobel Furnace. Which is still standing, with it's cast house still intact. Up untill a very few years ago, many of the company buildings still stood down near it. But most was recently torn down.

Does this help???

Feel free to contact me! andyj74 {AT} embarqmail {DOT} com Just keep in mind, I work crazy hours! It may take a day or two to get back to you. Now excuse me, I must go to work on this Thanksgiving Afternoon....

Andy Jennings

Blt 4-74/CN 3