C&O 614 to VMT

Fri Dec 3 01:30:40 EST 2010

It is highly doubtful as the route is mostly over CSX's trackage and
CSX has an adamant no-steam policy, unlike NS which has recently
lightened up by allowing movements of SP 4449 over the rails during
Trainfestival 2009 and with Nickle Plate 765 in recent years,
culminating with the announcement of the return of steam to NS in 2011
with the program co-sponsored by NS and the Tennessee Valley Railroad
Museum in Chattanooga. It will be interesting to see where the VMT
places the 614 in relation to the 611 and 1218. One observation I've
noticed is the C&O 614's solid cast pilot looks virtually identical to
those on 611 and 1218, I am curious if they were built by the same
company? Or were those on the A and J both fabricated in the Roanoke
Shops?

Steven Ashley