Lost A Friend

Fri Dec 3 15:35:19 EST 2010

Bill -

I sent you an e-mail earlier today regarding this very subject. NS didn't remove the signal, Mother Nature took care of it on Tuesday night. Yesterday I uploaded this 2002 photo that I took at Lee and the details of it's demise are included in the caption. Like you, my stomach churned when I heard it was no longer standing.

http://www.pbase.com/railfire/image/130827406

Here are a few other photos taken at Lee in recent years:

http://www.pbase.com/railfire/image/80117852
http://www.pbase.com/railfire/image/82378518
http://www.pbase.com/railfire/image/109267920
http://www.pbase.com/railfire/image/78943016

Jeff Hawkins

Sent: Friday, December 3, 2010 2:11:24 PM
Subject: Lost A Friend

I lost a long-time friend yesterday, one I have valued for over 40+ years.

On US 460 E yesterday, returning from the Archives, I passed a large group of white NS vehicles at the west end of double track at Appomattox. Much to my horror, they had removed the beautiful, stately twin-masted CPL that had protected that control point for, well, forever. Of all the N&W CPLs, that one meant the most to me. I checked it regularly in my travels and photgraphed it a number of times. It stood in such a way that other than in the dead of winter, the sun set behind it. Lovely.

Alas....

Bill McClure
Richmond