Subject: Fwd: [STMFC] Dean Freytag

Mon Dec 27 09:28:53 EST 2010

>From the few of us who have been around since “day one” Dean will be sorely missed.

He was indeed one of the founding fathers and was instrumental in the writing of our original bylaws.

He was also key in getting our mailings in order as we went past two hundred members (way back when).

But my fondest memories of Dean in the NWHS were of his serving as “Contest chairman” and organizing door prizes. Dean had so many contacts in the industry I remember one convention where every attendee had at least one door prize. Equally importantly every door prize came with a post card to return to the donor as a thank you card.

Last year I got a post card from Dean, he said he “had run out of Christmas cards” and it stirred up those memories.

Not mentioned in the article I’ve seen was Dean’s long time military service. He not only served in WWII but was a very long term active reservist in the Army.

We have indeed lost a very dear friend and great modeler.

Stoney
NWHS Mem #1

Dean was a charter member of the N&WHS and a member of the original board of
directors. We shall miss him, especially those of us who served on that original
board with him. We have already lost Tom Dressler and George Hughes from that
board. Jim Nichols