N&W in 1911--Another five items

Mon Feb 14 13:35:16 EST 2011

Gordon,

Many immigrants came to America to work and make enough money to go back home to buy property.

I had one cousin who came to America four times between 1900 and 1910 and worked in the factories in Detroit. He returned to Belarus each time with enough money to buy more land, build a factory, and a brick house. Unforunately he lost of his land in the Russian revolution to the "state," but his decendents still live in the house he built.

My grandfather's brother came to America, made money and went back to Belarus.

I know of a number of people who worked in the coalfields who went back to their native country. There would probably have been more if they were not stopped by World War I.

Many of the men who immigrated to America were not seeking a new land, they were seeking money to go back and have a better life in their native country. Many came without their families. My great uncle came over in 1913, but he wasn't able to bring his wife over until 1923 (after World War I and the Russian Revolution.)

Alex Schust

Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 8:52 AM
Subject: N&W in 1911--Another five items

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
June 25, 1911

IN CITY AND COALFIELD
------
Quiet Payday Night
Last night was probably one of the most quiet payday nights ever known in Bluefield. The streets were packed with shoppers, but there was very little disorder. In his rounds, up to an early hour this morning, the Telegraph reporter did not see a single drunk upon the streets.
------
Fingers Badly Hurt
C. H. Lawson, a well known brakeman on the Norfolk and Western, suffered severe injury to several of his fingers yesterday by having them caught between some large lumps of coal. The nail of one of the fingers was torn off.
------
Received Serious Burns
Orrin Dawson while at work at the shops yesterday was severely burned on the face and hands. He was attending a fire and when the draft was turned on the flames flashed over him.
------
Trains Crowded Yesterday
The trains coming and going throughout the coalfields were crowded yesterday, and especially last night, the occasion being payday and the attendant festivities.
------
Miners Are Scarce
There is a scarcity of miners in the field, due to the exodus of foreigners who are going back to their native countries [I wonder why?]
------
Gordon Hamilton