Thu Feb 17 08:02:43 EST 2011

Skip,

While reading your most recent "Takin' Twenty" I happened across a familiar
name, Benny F. Sammons.

Many years ago I had misguided thought that I would use some goats to clear
some land behind our house. I located said goats in Franklin County and
the "broker" brought them to the print shop where I worked at that time. They
arrived in the back seat of an old Firebird. We transferred them to the
cage I had build for the trip home.

Things didn't get off to a real good start and they would frequently escape
from their pen. On one such occasion they actually ran off. I posted some
"Missing Goats" signs in the little store below my house and the usual
fence posts along our country road. After a day or two I got a call from Benny.
He had some goat squatters in his barn a few miles down the road.

I loaded up my cage and a box of Corn Pops, goats love Corn Pops, and
headed off to the barn. I parked the car and opened the gate and headed to the
barn. Since there were no animals around I left the gate open. Sure enough,
Fred and Willie had taken up residence in Benny's barn. Just the sight of
the Corn Pops box was enough to lure them out. Right about the time I caught
the first one I noticed a herd of cattle coming down thru the field and
remembered that open gate. I had to give up the goat wrangling and run over
and close the gate. That was my boner move for the year. I went back to the
goats and with those Corn Pops I was able to round them up and bring them
home.

A few weeks later and just a day or so before hunting season they escaped
again. I never found them this time. I figure Fred and Willie are probably
stuffed and mounted and some hunter has the funniest looking buck he'd ever
seen.

Anyway, that is how I met Benny and we did get a chance to "talk trains"
several times.

Thanks,

Richard D. Shell
Troutville, VA