Fw: N&W in 1911--Another accident

Fri Mar 18 23:07:22 EDT 2011

I should have mentioned that the Class I engines were built as 2-8-0 and converted to 0-8-0 yard engines later in their lives by removal of the engine truck. I just assumed that 116 was a 0-8-0 at the time of this accident in Bluefield yard..

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Friday, March 18, 2011 5:44 PM
Subject: N&W in 1911--Another accident

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
August 4, 1911

IN CITY AND COALFIELD
------
Run Down by Engine
Gus Holley, colored, employed as a section hand by the Norfolk and Western, was run over by engine 116* yesterday afternoon. Holley was working on the track on the south side of the ice plant when the engine backed on him, cutting off a leg and bruising him about the head and body. He was removed to a hospital.
*This 116 was a Class I, 0-8-0 built 1883.
------
Gordon Hamilton