Joseph H. Sands in Wreck at Altoona, 9/12/1878

Mon Mar 21 19:51:24 EDT 2011

Joseph H. Sands was the top operating man on the N&W in the late 1880s and 1890s.

Here is a link to an article which appeared in the Altoona Tribune on September 13, 1878, detailing a collision at Altoona the previous day. Joseph H. Sands is listed as the Yardmaster aboard the train, but I believe he was the Trainmaster. A year of so after the wreck, he began working for the Shenandoah Valley Construction Company, which somehow became the Shenandoah Valley Railroad.

http://sz0174.wc.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/PRR_Wreck%20at%20Altoona_9-12-1878.pdf?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=460335&part=2

I will leave it to the readers to figure out what a "trackometer car" was !

-- abram burnett