Jawn Henry sound comparison

Tue May 10 16:45:32 EDT 2011

THe N&W Pokey Chicago Division has an operating sound equiped Alco Models Jawn Henry.

We took the basket case model and put in NWSL metal gears (plastic gear sets would of been quitier but hind site is 20/20.

Extra weight was added to make it real heavy and a puller for the live loads we do use.

As for the propulsion end of things, new can motors were installed and heavy duty decoders were used for each motor/drive set.

We used a DSD heavy steam soundtrax decoder. we turned the dynamo sound all the way up, cut off the chuff rate. We use a toned down blowoff function to simulate the whoosh even though it is a bit sharp. THe heavy steam decoder has many whistles and an SP steam single honker which is a horn but is not a big ole 5 chime. Also you can mess with things and have Jawn blow a hooter whistle if you wish.

My hat is off to John Kaspar who has rebuilt it for me! Lucky for me one of my local operators is a draftsman and a model maker over the years and did the drawings for the Alco model. Some how they ended up on my den wall along with my wifes John Henry Horse prints.

If ya'll start doing work on an article I do have a some nice builders photos of Jawn being built. There are a couple of You tube shots of our Jawn out there take by John's son Scott, you canjudge the sound and operation for yourselfs.

ANy questions or obervations let me know

Mike Ritschdorff